The game is a First-Person Shooter and a Roleplaying Game. The player is able to travel in Earth, the Moon, Venus and Mars. In certain Player VS Player Activities, they can also access Mercury and Phobos. The player can undertake Player VS Environment and Player VS Player missions. The player has to create a character before playing, and can then create two more. The classes are:
- Hunters: Focus in Speed and Mobility
- Warlocks: Focus on Casting Spells
- Titans: Have Large Health and focus on Close Quarters Combat.
The player has to pick a species for them as well, which are:
- Humans: Sapient species native to Earth
- Awoken: Bluish-Grey descendants of Humans
- Exo: Humanoid Machines
The player can pick from a range of armour and weaponary throughout the game, and can level up to boost their skill.
Their are Hostile Alien Species the Player will have to fight and are hostile towards the other species, and they are:
- The Fallen: Insectoid Pirates who scavenge Earth, the Moon and Venus for resources. They possess cloaking systems and short-range teleportation.
- The Hive: Ancient Aliens who live in underground settlements in the Earth and the Moon. They rely on superior numbers to overwhelm enemies.
- The Vex: Semi-Organic Androids attempting to control Venus and Mars by turning them into Machines, since they have already done that to Mercury. They rely on Shields and teleport members into battle en-masse.
- The Cabal: Large Amphibians that control a Military-Industrial Empire, and have strong fortifications on Mars. They rely on Heavy Armour, Heavy Shields and Jump Packs.
- The Taken: Newly added. These are the slaves of Oryx.
After the defeat of Crota, Oryx creates an army known as The Taken, and starts a war in revenge.